A A A

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: Meeting Minutes, Club Chit-Chat, and Fishing Reports will be listed if you are a member of Chapter 50. If you are a member, and you cannot see the reports after logging in, please use the contact form by selecting the floating envelope icon located in the bottom-right corner. Include your name and your Chapter 50 membership number. We will verify, and grant you special rights to view all. Alternatively, you may email us at muskiesincpennjersey @ gmail .

Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
2008 show recap
January 21, 2008
2:03 am
Guests

This years show was a huge success. We raised $ 3,513.00 in just 4 days . I would like to thank all who donated ther money for our stocking efforts. The monies we raised are going back to you the angler these fish are for all to enjoy.
Secondly the men and women who manned the booth WOW way to go ,It was really great to see some new faces step up!
I am truly impressed by the enthusiasm of all whom helped so much . I meet some new people hopfully shed some light to a few who dare to pursue muskies and I know we got good info out to the genral fishing world about Catch and Release.

The winners of the raffle are:
1 .Muskie trip with Matt Lysek winner - Ed Fridley
2. Muskie trip with Bob Jones -Ivan kosty
3. Salmon with Pete Lahosky -Steve Biehl
4. Shad with Big D- Steve Abbott
5. Rod- reel combo- Allison Kellock
6. Jay serbin Bass tackle pack

*Congrats to the winners of the raffle

[&]] Matt lysek [&]]

January 21, 2008
2:38 am
kevljohnson
Members
Forum Posts: 39
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

WOW! guys Congrats on a great job. All that hard work paid off. May the musky gods reward all your efforts on the water as well
KevinJ

Some days it is not about how good you are, but how bad you want it!

January 21, 2008
3:32 am
Guests

just got home from the show.It was a great time,raising money with twig,jeremy,greg,tom,matt,and kevintreat.Thanks alot guys an congrats to a hell of a show.We raised some good money that puts us closer to our goal. [&]] [&]] [&]] [&]] [&]] [&]] 😀 😀 ;D ;D ;D 😉 😉

January 21, 2008
3:40 am
esoxpress
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 357

Great news for the club and our fishery. We must be getting better at this every time. I personally wish I could have helped out more, but it sounds like we were well staffed.

It's nice to see a lot of newer guys so active. It keeps things fresh and exciting. I heard over and over about how fun the show was. That's perhaps one of the biggest accomplishments- having fun doing something we all love. -Eric

January 21, 2008
4:03 am
Guests

Congrats guys!.... Thanks to all the new guys who helped out and also the regular guys who made this a great show. Sorry I wasn't there today, had a work issue keep me home most of the day... [[^]. Well everyone should keep their heads up high and be proud of a great accomplishment.

January 21, 2008
5:02 am
optiangler
Members
Forum Posts: 107

I'm happy to have had the opportunity to help out at the booth, meet some new members, and talk to folks about muskies. Also got a chance to see Archies awsome new reproduction mount from LAX. For those that want a trophy fish memory, Lax does first class reproductions.

I'm looking forward to helping out at other shows in the future and being part of a group that shares a passion for muskie fishing.

Kevin

January 21, 2008
1:56 pm
T_Musky
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 1499

That's first class all the way, congradulations everyone!! That's wonderfull to see so many people contributing so much to the future of musky fishing and improving the fishery. 🙂

Team MTF

January 21, 2008
2:32 pm
DL
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 2213

Hey,

Just stopped by yesterday to attend Matt's seminar and pick up my sweatshirt. Bob and I had an interesting conversation with a grandfather, who was there with his grandson, about the fishing they have done together and his drive to find waters in the Berks County area. It was a pleasure seeing another fishing enthusiast passing it on to the younger generation.
It was great touching base with some of the guys I hadn't seen in a while and meeting a few new ones. The booth looked great and there was alot of activity there when I got there. Congrats to all who were an intrigle part of the show this year and here's to putting those funds to work in the best manner possible.

DL

DL

January 21, 2008
3:02 pm
bsurkin
Members
Forum Posts: 1050

It was a great show all around for the club. I had such pride in watching our newer members bring in $$ after $$. Ben, Jeremy, and Twig were superstars on Saturday. Sorry I couldn't make it Sunday, but it looked like we were well covered.
With this many people showing such support, we may be able to do BOTH shows next year (VF and Reading).
Great job to all [&]]
Barry

We may only see what we look for.

January 21, 2008
3:24 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 2219

I never talked so much in two days. Now I lost my voice. That's never happened to me before, but it is for a great cause. We are in our first month of the new year and we already have half of what we had last year total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [&]]
Like everybody else said the stand was great, the tank drew alot of attention especially from the kids. It was cool, I was going through my little speech and there was about 8 or so kids watching the babies when all of a sudden they all started yelling and goin nuts. Here both babies eat at the same time!!!! Feeding Window? But the kids loved it, one of them had a shiner T-Boned and for about a minute it was shaking it's head and scales were flying all over, it was great. Perfect timing.

On a very sad note, the camera that I was taking all the pics of kids holding our demo musky.....................it's gone [[^]
It was placed on the rear cover of my truck and I drove away. I heard something in the parking lot and I should of stopped then.
So when we got home and realized it was gone, we called the conferece center and they found it. It was in a box with a whole lot of other stuff and another camera and pics and T-shirts, but when I went to the Security office and picked up the box, everything was there but my camera.
I could [[^] I didn't even get to develop my 3 year olds 3rd x-mas pics. I just pray that some good hearted person finds it and returns it. I'm looking forward to the next show. You get to learn alot from other people and teach others alittle about catch and release.
I just hope that scuba diver I talked to stops spearing muskies if they don't drift away when he comes through!!!! That is just wrong, In every way. I tried telling him how long it takes for them to get that big. But he was telling me how many human attacks there are from muskies. I told him they're not sharks. But he was right and I was wrong. Hopefully some of the things I said will stick with him.
All in all great showing. Later

P.S. Thak you Arch for saying MTF and not muskateers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS NOT THE SIZE OF YOUR BOAT
ITS THE SIZE OF WHATS ON YOUR BUMPBOARD!
M.T.F

January 21, 2008
3:29 pm
bsurkin
Members

FYI, head over to the EPFR board. All the talk about the VF show was ABOUT US! We were the hit of the show!
Way to go!

January 21, 2008
5:30 pm
blkdrs
MI50 group

Moderators
Forum Posts: 2010

Wow! What a great job. Looks like everybody's hard work paid off! I know I certainly enjoyed meeting, chatting & working with Barry, George, Dan & Arch. The booth looked great & the two little guys in the tank were superstars! Congrats to everyone...Silvia

"The Wrecking Crew"

January 21, 2008
5:45 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

Looking at the pic on the front cover and all I can say is "Future Muskie Hunter". That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The kids at the show really, really enjoyed the demo fish and the tank. Every time I asked a kid if they wanted to hold the fish, they couldn't believe that they were aloud too. They would reply with "I'm not supposed to touch anything". What a bunch of great kids. So it was all smiles ;D once they had it in their little hands. Just had to share this. Man,....... someone has to find my camera with all those pics on it. :'( Later

M.T.F

January 21, 2008
7:39 pm
JTwig
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 208

I'd like to add my 2 cents. And give everyone that took time out of his or her schedules to help with the show a BIG round of applause. Everyone did a great job, and that alone made it an enjoyable experience. I felt pretty good about what we did and how we represented our club this weekend. I think the success we had is a true testament of the Men, Women, Boys, and Girls in our club. I am very proud to say I’m a member of such a great organization. Here’s to you Mr/Mrs. Muskie Hunters we salute you . . . Real Men of genius... ;D
All kidding aside great job everyone.

Twig
Bye the way I woke up sweating at 3am asking "do you do much fishing? " " Can I take a second of your time and tell you a little about are club"
;D

January 22, 2008
12:19 am
bigdriverguide
Members
Forum Posts: 908

The show was phenomenal! (not really true, but our booth certainly was.)

What is also true is that anyone who was near our booth benefitted from energy of our members and the excitement they created. I know for a fact that the Salmon guys, the guys who ran the Trout pond and several others were glad that we not only drew people into that aisle, we kept them there!

Some things from the show that I'll never forget:

- Watching Twig "reel in" people who had no intention of even looking at our booth. He'd ask if he could tell them a little about our club and, invariably, he'd sell them $5. (or more) worth of tickets before they continued on their way.
- the smiles on the faces of the kids who held the Muskie and had their pictures taken
- Barcardi Limon
- Seeing a crowd of more than 20 people trying to get a closer look at a Muskie eating a gold fish
- Hearing Ben yell out "that's another Muskie adoption" every time someone sold a t-shirt (we heard this a lot on Saturday)
- Jaeger Bombs
- watching Greg missing yet another Trout...
- telling people what we do and hearing, time after time, "that's great, how much are those tickets?"
- the MTF

With this group, we can reach any goal that we set our sights on. 1,000 fish this year? Trophy Muskie waters? Bigger Muskies from the State? NO PROBLEM, IT'S ALL WITHIN REACH!!!!

[&]]

Capt. Dieter Scheel    http://www.BigDRiverGuide.com

January 22, 2008
3:13 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

Still no voice!! Now that's how you know it was a good show.

M.T.F

January 22, 2008
10:55 pm
esoxpress
MI50 group

Worm- I hope your camera does show up! I was thinking about what you said about the guy who spears muskies. I wish I could have told him the story about when I was a young boy and a squirrel bit me. The "attack" was provoked by the bag of peanuts I was holding. For months I maimed every squirrel I saw with my BB gun. But then I grew up and realized that it was a wild animal and that is what wild animals do. Maybe we should just knock off every animal that has a mouth because at some point they are going to "attack" a human.

I heard on the Discovery channel that 3 million sharks are killed by humans for every one human that is killed by a shark. Ironically, I have never heard of a muskie killing a human 😛 Sounds to me that he was trying to make up for his "little spear". What a jack bag! [[^] -Eric

January 23, 2008
12:18 am
BushkillTom
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 1122

THE MTF RULES RING THE BELL ANOTHER 2 MUSKIES . I was as proud as a guy on the sidelines could be we all should be proud . Tom

January 23, 2008
12:41 am
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

Just an idea, we did awesome in 4 days at a little show,....right? Well....... What if we did that at a big show that draws in more people, like 100 x more and goes for 9 days? I'm talking about Harrisburgs "Eastern Sportsmens Show". We could crush any goal number we would set. We're raffle ticket, t-shirt, sweetshirt and Hook Pick sellin' machines!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you guys said, "Start at the fish pond and push this way". And push that way we did. There was only a hand full or so that actually didn't want to hear it but the rest were open and gladly would make at least a 5 dollar donation. Just smile and wave boys..........smile and wave!!! In two shows we could get our goal and cruise to 1,000 or 2 <<<<><<< for the year. Or more. I don't know, maybe I'm flying by the seat of my pants. ::)
Love ya Tommy boy. :-* But yeh Eric that Scubba-dubba- dude was a real tool. My neighbors have pitt bulls that putt up a good front and that's a breed of dog that has killed people so ............ maybe I'll get a spear gun to protect myself too!!!!! You got to remember your going into "Their World" so don't expect the top preditor of the river to just back off and not investigate alittle. It's not like he was a damn inspector and had to get to a certain spot in the river. He was just shooting because it scared the crap out of him. {{#%}}
And that's all I have to say about that.

M.T.F

January 23, 2008
1:46 am
Guests

Maybe next year we can ask Scuba dude what it feels like to be caught with a 12 Reef hawg including a XXXX cross eyed hook set. {&}

January 23, 2008
2:59 pm
Guests

Hey guys I think worms onto something. The only problem is we would need a bunch of commitment.I don't see why that would be a problem.its only one week pi of the year.we could raise a Shit load of money.I couldn't see why we wouldn't be able to do 10000 in that 9 days or more think about it.we did a thousand a day at the little show.if be willing to work three days.think about guys we could get it all done at one show.like my moto says go big or go home.come on guys this would be huge.

January 23, 2008
3:00 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

Nice!

M.T.F

January 23, 2008
5:29 pm
bsurkin
Members

Which chapter handles Harrisburg? Is it us or 16? Would we be able to get enough guys to commute back and forth for 9 days?
If the answers are yes, then it may be a good idea.

January 23, 2008
5:42 pm
Guests

It sounds like a good idea, but the problem I see off the bat is getting people to work during the week. Most guys work M-F and don't have ton of vacation days to use.

The main problem we always had was that there is only a core group of guys who do the majority of the work. Now that some of the new members are starting to step up and make a huge diference, it is possible we have enough guys to do it. I just don't think it can be done this year, in such short notice. But I don't see why we couldn't do it next season...but that my 2 cents..

Barry I think harrisburg will be us....

January 23, 2008
6:20 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

It is alot, new member or not. This years show wouldn't work. Need more time. I personally would take a weeks vacation and stay out there insead of driving. We could do more then we ever thought possible. As long as we have good stuff for the raffle it's easy to do.
The guided trips we had at the show sold themselves. We could take a 55 gallon tank instead of 30, get Erics mount and Arches, get some other lures to sell besides the Beast Teasers, alot of people were looking for some kind of muskie stickers, (thats easy and cheap).
Get some speacial little lady to be Miss Muskie :o. We did good at the last show but I'm trying to think even bigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like what was said at the show, "We want to make Marsh Creek the premier muskie lake in eastern pa". If we keep on track, we should be able to make Marsh and another lake premier muskie waters. I think we should try at least. We have plenty of time till next year.
Maybe I'm riding the high from the show yet, but lets try. We could inform alot of people out there. The energy we had at the show people couldn't help but to check us out. Ring that bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.T.F

January 23, 2008
7:08 pm
Guests

I agree this years not happening but we should bank on next year.if you wanna keep raising the bar of stocking muskies your gonna have to go to the bigger shows.car pooling is always an option I know most of us live pretty close to one another.the other thing about working during the week you'd have to take a vote on who can an can't work curtin weeks. We have a whole year to plan this.this should be brought to attention at the next meeting.your talking thousands of people at the Harrisburg compaired to hundreds at the Philly show.if you wanna stock big you gotta go big.I all in favor of it.we have the time p crunch numbers.its only a one year commitment. Can you imagine doubling our stocking numbers from a thousand too 2 thousand.just think how fast marsh can become a premiere lake with those numbers of Wisconsin pures being stocked every year. Well we can all dream right let's make it a reality.

January 23, 2008
7:55 pm
EsoxProV
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 1148

Harrisburg is a great idea! I've hit that show numerous times, never seen Chapter 16 represented but it sounds like that is part of our territory anyway. This show always gets a huge draw, weekends its shoulder to shoulder walking around. Commitment from guys will be the biggest thing as previously mentioned. I wish I could have worked the VF show more then the one night I did this go around but work is always an issue. I'm sure we could get away with less guys each day if they could do open to close given the travel distance out there. 9 days will be tough to cover but less guys working the booth for a longer shift could work.

Chad T

January 24, 2008
1:06 am
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

Now where talking!!!!!!!!!!! Let's keep it rollin' ;D 3 guys a day would be fine. One behind the booth the other 2 out front "PUSHIN".

M.T.F

January 24, 2008
1:31 am
bsurkin
Members

I don't want to bust the "high" we're all on, but I just want to throw my thoughts out there. We were successful inpart because we were talking about stocking a local lake. Marsh creek is only one exit away from VF. Will people from Hburg care about Marsh creek? What have we done in the central part of the state? In fact, everyone of us has stated that our territory is eastern PA and southern NJ. What about central PA?
Does anyone know the demographics of the Hburg show? Where do the people come from?
I think there is a lot of things to think about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it. I just don't want to spend our valuable time unwisely.

Thoughts for next year at VF: Since we were the big draw and had two seminars every day, shouldn't we get a break on the cost of the booth? I think that we should negotiate maybe $50 per seminar off the price of the table.

Let's get more thoughts up here!
Barry

January 24, 2008
3:23 am
Guests

I think the club should get a discount for doing seminars.That being said,i'm sure they will say the seminar is the clubs opportunity to get poeple to visit the clubs booth.You would have to convince the show that the seminars are actualy bringing people to the show.Bob

January 24, 2008
5:05 am
esoxpress
MI50 group

I agree with the discount for seminars. They have value to the host and therefore a discount should be considered.

Since there is only two MI chapters that represent PA I think that pretty much divides the State into East and West. That means that H'burg would be in the Eastern part of the State and therefore our territory. I'm not sure if Steve Warner is still a member of Ch. 50, but he is out that way, and Penguins06 I think is from the Halifax area just north of H'burg, so we do have members out that way. That means there are potentially others.

With regard to the Demographics..... well, the next thing I am going to say might upset a few of our mid State anglers, but I have found this to be true.....there are a lot more keep your catch fisherman the further West you travel. I have seen it while fishing and I've heard it while talking to other fisherman from that part of the State. I'm not saying all or even a majority, but there is certainly more than in our area. Just ask a local- have you ever tried a Smallmouth? Have you ever tried a Muskie? You will be shocked at how many say heck yeah- they taste great. I personally don't know a local fisherman in my area that has tried either. I also know of four, yes four muskies taken from the Juniata River last year that ended up on the dinner table. One was 44" and all of them were taken by the same guy. He is a very nice man who would do anything for you, but there is NO WAY you could ever convince him not to keep these fish. After all, his daddy did it that way and he paid for his fishing license. He is ONE guy in a factory that employs over 250 people. Everyone that works there hunts and fishes and keep almost everything because that's what their Daddy's did. They even close for a week during deer season and the opening day of Smallmouth. My point is that the fisherman that might care about pures being stocked might be the ones we really would prefer don't know at all. Does anyone remember the Curwensville Lake slaughter? Once word got out that the State pulled out a really big fish that died from exhaustion from being hooked by light tackle it was a mad muskie hunt for a wall hanger and/or a meal.

Because of this, I would have to say that I am skeptical of the pros outweighing the cons with this show. Maybe I am way off here, but this may be a case of bigger isn't always better. We would have to really think hard about this one. -Eric

January 24, 2008
2:43 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

I go to this show every year, along with alot of friends. If your wondering where the people come from, everywhere. People come from multiple surounding states, this show is huge. Your right about people not being from the area but, alot of people weren't from the area at the Philly show. I sold a Sweatshirt to a guy from North Carolina. He just loved to hear of a small group caring so much about getting fish in local water. So its not always about being local. You guys are saying about possibley going to the Reading show? Thats out west and considerbly far for people to get to Marsh also. I just don't think being that far away is going to hurt our sales. Like what was said before, I never see anything to do with Muskies out at that show. Not one. We could be the first. Ben and I went last year just looking for muskie stuff and the only thing we found was tackle shop from the Susky carring a few homemade plastics that make good trailers. If you've never been there the show is split into two, one side hunting the other fishing. The fishing part is about the size of the whole Philly show. And "no" <<<<><<< stuff! They don't even have a kiddy pool!! People come with campers and stay the whole show. Maybe it's out of our league. Maybe.

M.T.F

January 24, 2008
4:09 pm
DL
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 2213

Hey,

Just a thought or two. We would, I'm sure, have to pay alot more for a booth at the Harrisburg show than at the Valley Forge show. That and, at the Valley Forge show, we're a relatively big fish in a small pond and therefore a crowd drawer. However, at the Harrisburg show we'd be a small fish in a much larger pond and with the attractions, and sheer size of the show, make somewhat less of an impression. Ultimately, my question is, would it be cost effective?

DL

DL

January 24, 2008
6:09 pm
Guests

I think we would stand out at the show.I can't see I bring any different than the way we are he big fish at the v forge.that being said I think we would have to come up with some new ideas.to draw attention.he bell I great.the Musky tank is great.the mounts are eye catchers.how about a non stop video like seb did with muskies we catch this year showing proper ways to release these fish.an the great thing with that is there all in local waters we stock. Sweatshirts an tee shirts are great.I think there is too much negativity towards this show.yes I can see there being more of a booth charge.but you have to look at the fact your gonna make more money.hell you gotta be crazy not to spend 5 bucks on a raffle with guided trips an gear to win.like what was said before the prizes sell them selves its gonna take commitment to sell the sweatshirts an teeshirts but I can be done look at this show.know one is gonna know how the turn out or show is gonna do tell we step up an do it.it all makes sense more people more days more money

January 25, 2008
2:28 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

What If we start out by a bunch of us going out to the show? I mean I go every year. It sounds like some have never been there.
Lets go out and evaluate the compition. See how much booths are. Its mostly guide services out there. They need some muskie nuts
having a good time. That's what draws the attention. I like what lehigh was saying about the video. We could even bring a TV instead of alittle monitor. We can come up with some great ideas. And at the Harrisburg show there are beer venders everywhere!! [&]]
But yeh, we should go out as a group. We could all pile in and go on a road trip.

M.T.F

January 26, 2008
12:32 am
Guests

Barry,eastern Pa and south Jersey???I thought the club voted and the vote was for the club to cover "ALL" of Pa and "ALL" of Jersey.I wonder if we are reconcidering the outcome of that vote,if you are correct when you say every one states the club as E-Pa and S-Jersey.Bob

January 26, 2008
1:13 am
stevewarner
MI50 group
Forum Posts: 253

Eric,
The Juniata River has always had a bunch of locals,mostly in the perry and juniata county sections of the river that are of the kill everthing mentallity.Fifteen years ago I recall two brothers from around the Millerstown area that caught and killed 6 muskies in one weekend,it was just the way they were brought up.Some people you can change and some people you can't,unfortunatly until that generation of fisherman die off,this is still going to happen.

Catch and Release works for everyone,keeping a fish works for just one!

January 26, 2008
5:51 pm
esoxpress
MI50 group

Thanks Steve for that input. Do you feel that it is fairly isolated or is it widespread? The area that I was referring to is the exact area that you mentioned. I know that these guys will never be persuaded, so I am hoping that they are the minority.

Just to clarify, I am not condemning these folks. Most live a much more simple lives. Living off the land and sea is just part of their lifestyle. Sometimes I think they have it all figured out! -Eric

January 26, 2008
9:21 pm
T_Musky
MI50 group

Hey Guys,

I have no problem with someone keeping fish..muskies or whatever, as long as its legal. It's everyones choice, I prefer to release all my muskies, but it's up to the individual. But what about people keeping fish illegally? I keep the DEC phone number programed in my phone up here in NY 607-652-7366, haven't reported any illegal activity yet, but I will if I see someone keeping muskies under the limit. Question? who would you call in PA to report somoene illegally keeping muskies. Please post the phone number is anyone knows it, thanks.

Tim

Team MTF

January 27, 2008
5:11 pm
STUBBORN DUTCHY
MI50 group

I wonder if any of these guys keeping the muskies has ever had there murcury levels checked? Talking from experience, you really don't want to be eating something that has been soaking in the local rivers that long. 40" is the legal limit, and how long does it take to get that big? 8-10 years? That's a good soak in crapy water. Evereybody killing muskies and eating them,.........good luck with bringing your mercuy levels down. I've been detoxing for over a year and a half and still didn't get it all out. Local fish are for catchin' not killin'. Walleyes from Blue Marsh did it to me and I learned not to eat them or any other locals. Buy them at the store from cold water sources only!!! This is also a good reason to "CATCH-N-RELEASE".

M.T.F

January 28, 2008
1:57 pm
bsurkin
Members

Bob, you have the info confused about our local waters. All of PA and all of NJ are local waters when we are talking about our musky contest. They are not our "official" local waters that the chapter represents.
I hope that I cleared it up for you.
Barry

January 29, 2008
1:59 am
Guests

A little confusing.Double standard?? Oh well,dosn't matter one way or another to me.Bob

January 29, 2008
3:06 am
T_Musky
MI50 group

Hey Guys,

My fault for getting this thread "off topic". Congrats to the club on a great job!! [&]]

Tim

Team MTF

March 11, 2008
3:36 am
cdnordquist
Members
Forum Posts: 225

Regarding the Harrisburg show, I attended it a few times in the late 1990's. It is a huge show, tons of people from all over the mid-Atlantic states. I got the impression from talking to Tony Grant that it's tough to get a booth and that he wasn't able to get in the previous few years. Most of the outfitters there are from eastern Ontario, where it's mostly pike/walleye fishing. There were only a handful of resorts/outfitters that offered any decent muskie fishing. I was able to find the occasional muskie lure there, but there really wasn't much. I'm sure that there's more muskie stuff there now that muskie fishing has become more popular.

Regarding the question of which MI club should deal with Harrisburg, in my experience Chapter 16 doesn't have much presence outside of the western 1/3 of the state - Raystown is about as far east as most of them will travel. They certainly wouldn't consider Harrisburg part of their territory, as they never travel that far east to fish. With western NY and the Kawartha lakes not much further of a drive, can you blame them?

On the other topic, I've run into the "catch and kill" mentality everywhere, but for some reason it seemed particularly bad along the Central PA Rivers. I won't pretend to know why.

Funny you mention Curwensville. Ten years ago I was there with a well-known western PA muskie guide and we saw a picture of a dead 30" on the wall at a tackle shop. He said "Look, somebody murdered a muskie!" The owner said, "yeup, that's my son" and then told us about all of the fish they had caught and killed out of the lake in the previous weeks. That guy no longer owns the shop, so you guys can call off the lynch mob.

Chris

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 287
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 0
Members: 560
Moderators: 3
Admins: 2
Forum Stats:
Groups: 7
Forums: 42
Topics: 5516
Newest Members:
RichardNax, VictorSOibe, BrendanSorry
Moderators: blkdrs: 2010, Mike D: 1999, Archie: 475
Administrators: adminarchie: 13, mi50 webmaster: 0

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2024 MUSKIES INC Chapter 50 Penn Jersey

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account